Oh my gosh! This is the most dangerous and divisive idea that anyone could come up with. It would not just rip this country apart, but would also pit Christian against Christian. Just look at history, the history of Christianity through the ages. This is what wars were fought over in Europe, Christian against Christian for over 1500 years. GlennDL
57% Of Republicans Say Dismantle Constitution And Make Christianity National Religion
"...Republicans apparently have no misgivings about turning the United States into a Christian theocracy. The poll’s crosstabs reveal that support for making Christianity the official religion is strongest among Mike Huckabee (94 percent), Rick Perry (83 percent), and Ben Carson (78 percent) supporters.
Ben Carson is the preferred presidential candidate of those who want to impose Christianity on the nation with 24 percent support. Mike Huckabee and Scott Walker are tied for 2nd place at 16 percent. Scott Walker (35 percent) and Jeb Bush (22 percent) are the leading candidates among GOP voters who do not want to establish a national religion." Politicususa.com
http://www.politicususa.com/2015/02/25/57-republicans-dismantle-constitution-christianity-national-religion.html
zxzxzzxzxzxzxzxzx
If the question is of the legitimacy of the polling the PPL has received both praise for it accuracy and methodology in the past as well as criticism from the right that its is biased. Every poll produced receives that criticism from whoever is cast in a negative light, so take the poll with a grain of salt.
If you truly consider it a ploy by the Democrats to raise fears then I won't begin to debate that point for two reasons:
1] If either one of us, or both of us, are willing to accept that an argument is either valid or invalid strictly on the basis of who made it then we are not going to address the argument because we will constantly be draw to debating the 'who', and I find that those debates become tedious,
2] I could direct you to quotes, information, names of politicians, and religious leaders who have alluded to Dominionist theology as well as a desire for a Christian Theocracy. That would only result in me appearing to be promoting the 'scare' or some conspiracy theory, and would also not have a productive outcome.
I would suggest: do a google search on Dominionist theology, alter the search with additional keywords like leaders and politicians. Also do google searches for some of those mentioned in the article and some statements from the 2008 Republican primaries.
I would also point out that yes, this country was founded on freedom of religion, but too many of us seem to think that it was founded on freedom of OUR religion and nobody else's, and those people see changing the Constitution as the only way to protect THEIR religion.
No need to apologize, I welcome any civil discussion. When I post/share an article with a point of view I realize there may be someone who disagrees with me. Unlike others I am not trying to shock someone towards by opinion or beliefs nor am I seeking confirmation. I don't want people to read the post topic or summary, I want them to actually read the complete article. To often I see friends just accepting slogans and statements without actually considering or discovering the intent of the slogan or statements. At the most I would be pleased if someone opened their critical thought process long enough to consider a different opinion.
As for why the PPP would conduct a poll on such a topic... because we are now in that point in the cycle (election/pre-election) were pollsters have a field day. Questions on the faith topic are prime subjects for pollsters and candidates. Additionally the idea of and appropriateness of the subject of religion in politics is fair game since religious credentials are an issue that Republicans routinely raise.
Since all people of faith are not of the same mind, beliefs or political party their is a keen interest in to what degree would their rights be impacted by either the secular or religious beliefs of a candidate or party. And that is the point of the article, too what degree do some republicans want their Religious beliefs imposed on others, the nation and to what degree do they really believe in the Constitutional concept of 'Freedom of Religion. Just as Republicans raise the issue of the religious beliefs of democrats, progressives, and liberals they too should explain their beliefs.
As for me I am concerned about what the poll says about the 57% of the Republicans who like the idea of turning our country into a theocracy, who want to strip one of our most basic and fundamental rights from the constitution, and most importantly what it says about those political and religious leaders who try to pander to the idea.
Dominionist theology and a desire for a Christian theocracy are not knew ideas, they are much discussed by the Religious Right, just not always on the public stage.
If you want to examine the PPP's methodology, the actual questions and responses here is the survey itself:
http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2015/PPP_Release_National_22415.pdf
If you want to examine the PPP itself, here is their website link:
http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/
No comments:
Post a Comment